“So what did your home look like before you tore it down and started a fresh?”… I hear you ask! Well, to answer this, I’ve pulled together a selection of before and after shots starting with the kitchen and living/dining area. I’ve also thrown in some during shots for good measure.
Before, our kitchen was rather small with very limited worktop space. It had an old coal fired Rayburn with accompanying chimney stack which separated the kitchen and dining area, and an adjoining mint green conservatory which was both cold in the winter and sweltering hot in the summer. The dining space was narrow and long and had two sets of bulky PVC patio doors facing out towards the garden. The space didn’t work and was in need of modification.
Our vision was to have one large open plan space that was modern, light and a great room for family time and entertaining.
In order to have all of this, a LOT of work was required. First off, we had to go through countless architectural meetings with our structural engineer to ensure our drawings were not only structurally sound, but what we wanted. Our biggest challenge was to incorporate an 8 metre wide glass opening whilst also supporting the bedroom directly above.
After a year and a half of procrastinating and much to-ing and fro-ing with the planning office, we finally made a start on our renovation project. This could have not come sooner for us and we were ‘chomping at the bit’ to get going. Even the thought of living in a static caravan for 7 months didn’t put us off! So, in early June we moved out of the house and into our caravan.
On the 22nd June 2016 works started (yeay!), and man, didn’t they start with a bang (or should I say crash!).
Seeing all of this activity take place at the house was so exciting and exhilarating. We literally could not wait to get home from work each day to see what had been done! The level of progress in these early stages (i.e the demolition stages) was immense.
(I’ve got to say, looking back at the pictures now doesn’t make me feel excited, more just fearful and full of anxiety!)
The build took roughly 8 months to complete (our target was 7). And generally, things went pretty much to plan. Here are the final results of our kitchen/sitting/dining area;
I hope you enjoyed the read (and all the pictures!). x