Paint Colours

Anyone would think I was a brand rep for Farrow and Ball, given I have painted my whole house in Farrow and Ball paint colours! But no, I am just a huge advocate for the brand and I really like their colour options.

When deciding on the colour combinations for my home, I wanted to make each room different and to reflect its own personality and function but I also wanted to ensure a natural flow and tonal balance was achieved throughout the house.

I decided the best way to approach this was to use one paint brand (in this case, Farrow and Ball) and use colours that have a similar tonal weight.

For our large open plan room, I opted for Wimborne White. It is only a shade away from a pure white but has the addition of the smallest amount of warm yellow pigment which creates a very versatile shade and is just a little softer than All White. I didn’t want this large room to feel cold and clinical so by using a slightly warmer white tone, I thought it would make the space feel more welcoming. To complement this colour, I used All White for the woodwork which I continued throughout the rest of the house.

I decided to use Wimborne White in a few other rooms within the house, primarily because I wanted these rooms to be white but I didn’t want a cold, flat white.

I knew from the outset that I wanted a shade of grey on the walls in our master bedroom. I wanted to achieve a contemporary look that was sophisticated and gave a sense of spaciousness. After trawling through the colour charts, I decided on Pavilion Grey. I am really pleased with this colour as it provides a modern, contemporary look to the room. I simply cannot wait to style the room with some new furniture and soft furnishings as we currently have all our own old bits and pieces in there at the moment and is far from how I would like it to look!

The hallway, stairs and landing were painted in Shaded White. I was very keen to use a warm and inviting colour in this space and Shaded White has a gentle greyness, but with none of the cooler tones of Cornforth White, making it incredibly versatile within homes both old and new.

For the lounge, I wanted a wall colour that was bold, striking and would compliment the modern design of our newly installed chimney breast and wood burning stove. I went with a strong architectural grey called Plummett which according to Farrow and Ball “intensifies in colour in smaller spaces and has a strikingly modern feel which is conducive to minimal living”. Plummett is one of their most hard-edged and industrial feeling greys and provides the perfect backdrop for our wall mounted stag head (which we found on the mountains of Scotland over 10 years ago!).

In James’ room, I opted for a colour which I had previously painted the room prior to the build project. It is Cornforth White which is a mid-tone in the group of Easy Neutrals. It is extremely versatile, neither too warm nor too cool and provides a lovely calming feel to the room.

I get asked a lot what colours my kitchen units are painted in. The kitchen cabinets and island are painted in Tom Howley wood paint but work off similar colours to the Farrow and Ball colour chart. The cabinets are painted in Tansy (Cornforth White) and the kitchen island in Lithodora (Hague Blue).

After falling in love with the colour of our island, I just knew I had to bring the colour Hague Blue into another room of the house. To add some drama to our downstairs cloakroom and to continue this statement colour through to the room adjoining the kitchen, I painted the walls above the tiles in Hague Blue. The green undertones of this timeless, deep and dramatic blue means it sits as happily in small dark rooms.

And finally, our external windows and doors were painted in colours reference to the RAL colour chart. RAL is a European colour matching system which defines colours for paint, coatings and plastics. Our aluminium sliding doors were painted in Anthracite Grey 7016 and our wooden windows and doors, Dusty Grey 7037.

For those looking for some colour inspiration, I hope this post has been useful!

Thanks for reading x

20 Comments

1. Natalie
    July 10, 2018 / 2:06 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to share so much detail. I get so much inspiration from your home! Out of curiosity, which direction does your family room point… is it south facing? It always seems so bright and light and your colour choice most definitely complements this!

2. josephine prendergast
    July 11, 2018 / 3:42 pm

fabulous blog post sarah Jane – so much detail….

3. Mel d'Oultremont
    August 30, 2018 / 8:08 am

Hi ! What colour are your ceilings?

• justalittlebuild
      Author
      August 30, 2018 / 11:17 am

I just went with off white

4. Emma Moss
    September 3, 2018 / 3:01 pm

Love the mirror in the downstairs loo and the wooden toy with rotating numbers and letters – can you share details? Thanks! Emma

• justalittlebuild
      Author
      September 3, 2018 / 3:33 pm

Tkmaxx for the mirror and the wooden toy was from my local charity shop!

5. Anna Chalmers
    September 11, 2018 / 10:08 pm

In the photo where you are testing the paint colours, what are you painting the test colours on?

• justalittlebuild
      Author
      September 25, 2018 / 2:51 pm

Just offcuts of plasterboard!

6. Leanne
    September 23, 2018 / 9:20 pm

Hi there, can I ask if you used farrow or ball for the shaded white or did you get colour match? If son what brand did you use? Love the colour but can’t justify paying £75 for 5l paint tin!! Xx

• justalittlebuild
      Author
      September 23, 2018 / 9:22 pm

Yes, we colour matched using dulux paint! X

7. Rachel
    October 15, 2018 / 7:48 am

How do you find farrow & ball lasts once on the wall? I recently painted two walls with f&b and it’s chipping already. I had plans to paint my lounge in vardo but it’ll be really expensive and I’m dreading it chipping!

• justalittlebuild
      Author
      October 15, 2018 / 7:50 am

I use either dulux or crown paint but colour match to farrow and ball!

• Stacey
        November 7, 2018 / 10:44 pm

Love your website!! Which do you prefer – Dulux or Crown for colour matching? Do you just paint onto a piece of wood? Would you say it’s safe enough to colour match then go for the full works or do you test the colour match too? Thank you!! xx

• justalittlebuild
          Author
          November 13, 2018 / 7:15 pm

We did colour, swatch and sample match! I used dulux on our walls x

8. Roger
    October 18, 2018 / 12:00 am

Hi love your house, can I ask did are your outside windows uPVC? And did you paint them by hand? Just wondering if this is possible. Thank you

• justalittlebuild
      Author
      October 24, 2018 / 5:07 pm

Hi, we used to have vPVC but replaced them all with wooden ones. I believe it is possible to paint uPVC windows but you have to use specific paint.

9. Chloe
    October 24, 2018 / 6:31 pm

Hi, this is unbelievably useful – thank you so much for putting all this together. Can I ask – did you spray the alcove cabinetry in the lounge or was it hand painted? The finish just looks so good! Is it eggshell? Looks absolutely divine 🙂 🙂 🙂

• justalittlebuild
      Author
      October 24, 2018 / 7:11 pm

Yes, our carpenter spray painted it prior to installation! It’s a satin finish.

10. November 12, 2018 / 6:48 pm

Thankyou for post found it very good and will copy all colours could you tell me yr flooring Sheila